EMBL-EBI is pleased to announce release 2 of Ensembl Genomes; extending Ensembl further across the taxonomic space!
Highlights for this release include:
- 9 new genomes of Escherichia species; 4 new Bacillus and Streptococcus genomes; and additional genomes of Mycobacterium and Staphylococcus genera added to Ensembl Bacteria; taking the total bacteria species/strain count to 134.
- Bacillus subtilis now represented using the re-annotation by Barbe et al. (Microbiology 155 2009, 1758-1775).
- New Plasmodium falciparum build based on the current release of PlasmoDB, 5.5.
- Updated build of Drosophila melanogaster and the inclusion of 11 additional drosophilid species, based on Flybase release FB2008_10
- Updated build of Caenorhbditis elegans, and the inclusion of 4 additional Caenorhabditis species, based on WormBase release WS200
- Comparative genomic analyses (bacteria, protist, metazoan and pan-taxonomic Compara databases) updated.
- Ensembl 54 software
Keep an eye out for Release 3 in September, which will include plants and fungi…