The following updates are planned for upcoming releases of Ensembl.
Please note that we have no fixed timeline for most of these items
- Please note: In January 2017, we have moved to a new system of gene annotation which we call ‘clade annotation’. This means that we plan to annotate a batch of closely related assemblies at the same time, and then move on to the next batch.
- Regular updates
- Minor assembly updates for human and mouse: incorporation of new alternate sequence provided by the GRC, with basic gene annotation.
- Planned updates to human, mouse, rat and zebrafish gene sets: incorporation of HAVANA manual annotation. For mouse, the gene set is updated every release. For human and zebrafish, the gene sets are updated every second release.
- Improved detection of partial / split genes
- Continue to import new variation data from dbSNP and DGVa where available.
- Improve variation annotation using publicly available variant, phenotype and disease data.
- Continue to import genome wide association study phenotypes for variants from the EBI-NHGRI Catalog, and variants and phenotypes from OMIM, Orphanet, OMIA and other sources.
- Include phenotype data for structural variants.
Core API and schema
- Switchable adaptors to serve data from sources other than MySQL databases
- Megabase sized feature density tracks
- Support for cigar and vulgar alignments
- More efficient external reference assignment pipeline
- FTP web tool for customisable file download
- Transcript archive to retrieve sequence for retired features
- TrackHub registry server
- Integrate more cell types (Roadmap Epigenomics, HipSci…)
- Integrate more TFBS PWMs (e.g. SELEX, UniProbe…)
- Attach regulatory elements to genes via eQTLs, chromatin conformation data, etc.
- Development of DNA methylation tracks i.e. high level summaries and differentially and variably methylated regions
- Annotate epigenomic markers of phenotype or differentiation
- Web display developments:
- Further refinements of wiggle track config/display including track highlighting
- MotifFeature view incorporating variation consequences
- Incorporating ChIP-seq data from further species for possible additional regulatory builds.
- Investigate regulatory feature orthologs and/or comparative views
New web features
- Complete the rework of Export / Download functionality
- Redesign Protein Summary View
- Extend Genoverse to support TrackHubs and uploaded user data
- Investigate ways to improve scalability and retrievability of the data from the various marts.
- Continue to incorporate new filters and attributes to the marts as new data is added to the Ensembl schemas.