We’re looking for an outreach officer to design and deliver training on our resources and support our users. We’re looking for a background in genetics, genomics, bioinformatics or a related field and excellent communication skills. Closes 9th December.
|Location:||EMBL-EBI, Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable up to 9 years)|
|Grading:||Grade 5 (currently £2,738 net per month) + other paid benefits|
|Closing Date:||9 December 2020|
Ensembl is looking for an energetic outreach officer to design and deliver training on our resources. Ensembl develops free, comprehensive genome data services for a worldwide audience, distributing gene and genome data through an online genome browser and publicly accessible databases and APIs. Ensembl Outreach is responsible for training and supporting our users from experimental laboratory scientists to bioinformaticians, and is part of the Genomics Technology Infrastructure team, supporting several resources including Ensembl, Ensembl Genomes and the International Genome Sample Resource (IGSR).
The Ensembl Outreach Officer will be involved in teaching, training and helping Ensembl users. Responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering training workshops on our browser, tools and APIs, and using these in NGS analysis. At present, this is online based, using webinars and interactive messaging systems, but we anticipate a return to face-to-face training, requiring extensive worldwide travel, once the current climate permits it.
- Creating and maintaining documentation and e-learning materials.
- Direct support of user queries via email and RT (Request Tracker) including website, data, API and advanced tool support.
- Disseminating key developments via social media.
- Direct interaction with our development teams to fix bugs identified by users and find solutions to user problems.
- Supporting usability testing and web design.
The post holder will report to the Ensembl Outreach Project Manager and will also work occasionally with EMBL-EBI’s Training Team.
The successful candidate should have a background in genetics, genomics, bioinformatics or a related field. They are expected to have excellent English communication skills, written and verbal, both to facilitate effective communications with other team members and to communicate with external collaborators and users.
They should also work well as a part of a team and should be comfortable delivering presentations and workshops both online and at scientific institutes worldwide. The post holder must be highly self-motivated and be able to work independently. They must also have an attention to detail, be capable of delivering to deadlines, able to delegate and prioritise tasks.
You might also have
- A successful candidate should be familiar with UNIX/Linux and have experience with a programming language (e.g. Python, Perl or R).
- A PhD or equivalent experience would be highly advantageous.
- Experience working with large scale NGS analysis, such as clinical genomics analysis, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq or similar, plus working with relational databases, would be helpful.
- Any experience in teaching, training, public outreach, online help, customer service or planning events, in or out of science, will be considered in your application. Please let us know of any relevant experience you have.
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Visa sponsorship information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview