We’re looking for a bioinformatics manager to lead a team working on comparing genes and genomes between species. We’re looking for PhDs Molecular Biology or Bioinformatics with experience in comparative genomics, relational databases, high performance computing and a coding language. Closes 12th June.
|Location:||EMBL-EBI, Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||7 (monthly salary starting at £3,351 after tax)|
|Closing Date:||12 June 2019|
Ensembl is a world-leading project that integrates and annotates genomes from thousands of species across the tree of life, and serves them in a number of dynamic ways to the global scientific community. The Ensembl Compara team forms a critical component of this mission, developing and deploying pipelines and tools for comparing genes and genomes, by way of evolutionary trees, orthology/paralogy, multiple alignments and synteny. As global efforts to sequence the genomes of all species on earth begin to gather pace, this position will give you a prominent role in shaping Ensembl’s response to this exciting challenge.
You will also:
- Manage and mentor a team 4-5 bioinformaticians/developers
- Manage the team’s development and production work for Ensembl releases
- Engage with users and other Ensembl teams to develop effective displays and APIs for comparative genomics data
- Write reports and papers describing Ensembl comparative genomics resources
- Represent the project relevant international consortia (such as the Quest for Orthologs)
- Keep up-to-date with current research in comparative genomics tools and methods
- Broad knowledge of comparative genomics concepts and methods
- Experience with using relational databases for biological data
- Experience with designing and deploying complex analysis pipelines on an HPC cluster
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Perl or Python)
You will ideally hold a PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics or related field with demonstrated experience in comparative genomics. Applicants with a MSc and appropriate experience will also be considered.
You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills to lead within a project where biologists and computer scientists work closely together. You will also be highly organised in order to meet the regular deadlines, reports and procedures across the wider Ensembl project.
You might also have
- Experience with formal project management principles and techniques
- Experience of working with the Ensembl platform
- Expertise specifically in Perl and MySQL
- Experience with working in large collaborative genomics projects
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.