We’re looking for a bioinformatics team leader to manage our annotation efforts, including vertebrate and worm gene annotation and comparative genomics. We’re looking for someone with extensive experience in management and bioinformatics. Closes 10th June.
|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||9 (monthly salary starting at £4,623 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here.|
|Closing Date:||10 June 2018|
We are seeking a highly motivated Team Leader to lead the Eukaryotic Annotation team at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory’s European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. The Team Leader will manage and help develop the Ensembl annotation resources and services. Ensembl is one of the world’s leading resources for genomic research and EMBL-EBI is committed to the long term expansion of value-added genomics resources delivered through the Ensembl platform. This position is part of a strategic integration of the Ensembl and Ensembl Genomes annotation resources designed to increase the scope, efficiency and effectiveness of EMBL-EBI’s genome annotation data.
The successful candidate will lead a growing team, consisting of approximately 18 staff members and will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Ensembl gene annotation and comparative genomics pipelines. This includes the creation of evidence gene annotations, development of algorithmic strategies for vertebrate annotation, creation of multiple alignments and the development of TreeFam. The post holder will also be responsible for strategic management of the EMBL-EBI contribution to the WormBase project.
The Eukaryotic Annotation Team Leader will work closely with other Team Leaders within the greater Ensembl project and other teams at EMBL-EBI to ensure an integrated data presentation and improved efficiency for all of EMBL-EBI’s annotation resources. As a member of EMBL Faculty, the post holder will report to the Vertebrate Genomics Senior Team Leader, and jointly with the Senior Team leader and other senior Ensembl staff will develop and refine EMBL-EBI annotation strategy.
In addition to the above, more specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing the team’s budget and staff; communicating with the EMBL’s HR and Grants offices;
- Participating in related projects across EMBL-EBI, collaborating closely with other Team Leaders and other staff at EMBL-EBI, and in particular with other Team Leaders within the greater Ensembl project;
- Contributing to the development of overall organisational strategy;
- Participating in large-scale international scientific consortia as well as more targeted external collaborations
- Presenting work in international meetings and preparing scientific publications
- Identifying appropriate funding opportunities and applying for external grants
EMBL-EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and it is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry. We have close ties with both the University of Cambridge and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
Qualifications and Experience
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A PhD in bioinformatics, life sciences, computing or statistics or an MSc degree with appropriate experience
- At least 6 years experience working in the field of bioinformatics, including experience with relevant data types and formats
- At least 2 years experience in managing personnel
- In-depth knowledge of some or all of the following: bioinformatics, computer science, software engineering, relational databases, statistics, gene annotation, comparative genomics, and high throughput sequencing analysis
- Experience of scientific and technical writing including manuscripts and grants;
- Experience in at least some of the following: software development (Java, Perl, R, shell), Unix, high-performance computing platforms (LSF), search technologies (Solr), curation, ontologies, and data mining.
The Team Leader should possess excellent communication and presentation skills, an ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team and to work in a collaborative, international environment. Excellent English skills are essential.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities – visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place on 13 July 2018.